I am always in the mood for a hearty salad…one that will fill me up…even though there is no meat. This Tuscan Kale Salad fits the bill with layers of rustic Lacinato Kale, sweet peppers, radishes and strawberries. Top that with some feta cheese, crushed pistachio nuts, lemon zest and our homemade Tiny Kitchen crunchy garbanzo beans that not only add amazing texture but also some extra protein! I think this might just become one of your new favorite salads. If you don’t believe me, just ask my sister. I think she is on day #5 of making this salad.
Can’t wait for you to try it and don’t forget to post pictures of your Tuscan Kale Salad on Instagram. Tag us in them (@tinykitchenTV) so that I can see you’re amazing creation!
Tuscan Kale Salad
Yield 2 salads
Layers and layers of rustic Lacinato Kale, sweet peppers, radishes and strawberries. Top that with some feta cheese, crushed pistachio nuts, lemon zest and our homemade Tiny Kitchen crunchy garbanzo beans and you'll have one rustic (and filling) salad.
SO WHAT YOU'RE GONNA NEED IS:
- (1) bunch Italian Tuscan Kale (Lacinato): Available Here
- (2) Strawberries: Available Here
- (2) small Sweet Peppers: Available Here
- (2) Radishes: Available Here
- (1) Tablespoon Shelled Pistachios Nuts: Available Here
- (1) small Lemon: Available Here
- (1) Tablespoon Feta: Available Here
- (To taste) Olive Oil: Available Here
- (To taste) Salt: Available Here
- (To Taste) Pepper: Available Here
- (1) can Garbanzo Beans: Available Here
- (1) teaspoon Paprika: Available Here
- (1) teaspoon Cumin: Available Here
- (1/4) teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper: Available Here
- (To taste) Shallot Vinaigrette: Recipe Available Here
YOU'LL ALSO NEED:
- Sauté Pan: Available Here
- Baking Sheet: Available Here
- Silicone Baking Mat: Available Here
- Small Mixing Bowl: Available Here
- Zester: Available Here
- Sharp Knife: Available Here
Prepare the Garbanzo Beans
- Place drained, rinsed and dried Garbanzo beans in a Small Mixing Bowl
- Add Olive Oil to Coat.
- Separately, mix together Paprika, Cumin and Cayenne Pepper. Sprinkle on the Garbanzo Beans and stir until evenly coated.
- Transfer Garbanzo Beans to a Baking Sheet with Silicone Baking Mat and spread out in a single layer so that the Garbanzo Beans are not touching.
- Sprinkle with Salt.
- Bake in a 400 F oven, stirring occasionally, for about 20-30 minutes until crunchy. (Note: a convection oven helps to crisp them up nicely, so use that setting if you have one.)
- Transfer to a bowl to cool.
Prepare the Salad
- Wash and dry Kale. Remove center rib of the Kale using a knife or by snapping the bottom end of the rib of the Kale; then holding above the rib on one hand, swiftly pull the leafy part of the kale and the rib in opposite directions. The rib will come out easily. (Note: see video for demonstration.) Break Kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice Sweet Peppers into rings. Slice Radishes. Slice Strawberries.
- Add Olive Oil to a Sauté Pan over medium heat. Add Kale, Salt and Pepper and a touch more Olive Oil on top. Sauté Kale for a minute or less until it turns a vibrant green color. It will still be firm and crunchy.
- Dress the Kale separately with Shallot Vinaigrette.
- Begin building the salad with a layer of Kale, then Peppers, Radishes and Strawberries. Repeat the layers and top with a final piece of Kale.
- Top with Crunchy Garbanzo Beans, Crushed Pistachio Nuts and Feta Cheese. Finish with the zest of a Lemon.