I have always loved cookies.
When I was a kid, we had one of those Cookie Monster Cookie Jars with big beady eyes on top. I remember it like it was just yesterday…coming home from school, heading over to the counter with the big blue monster on it, grabbing the eyes with great anticipation.I would slowly remove the top of the cookie jar (also known as cookie monster’s head) to see what delectable cookie treat was inside.
Would it be Sugar Cookies? Peanut Butter? Oatmeal and Raisin? …or maybe it would be a Chocolate Chip Cookie? Who am I kidding, I didn’t care. As a kid, I never met a cookie I didn’t like.
Of course, some cookies were definitely better than others, but it didn’t matter…it was a cookie!
As adult, though, I’ve gotten more particular with cookies. If I’m going to eat a cookie, I want to make sure it is worth the caloric investment, so to speak. So, I’m always in search of the best of the best.
I can say without reservation that I think this is the best Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe out there. Martha Stewart hits it out of the park with this one.
In my opinion, it’s got all the elements of the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie:
- It’s got a bit of a crunch to it when you first bite into it. Just the right amount of bite to feel substantial and satisfying without being hard, overly crunchy or dry.
- The cookie, itself, is Soft and Chewy…even the next day! Simply perfection.
- It’s got the perfect amount of Chocolate Chips…not too few, not too many…it’s just right!
…and most importantly,
- The batter tastes great…when you’re making it or, ahem, when you decide not to bake them! I know they say you’re not supposed to eat raw eggs…but I just can’t help myself. I’ve literally made a batch of this just to store in the fridge so that I could snack on the batter. Hey, don’t judge. 😉
As for modifications to the recipe, I don’t think you need to touch a thing. The only thing I have experimented with is different kinds of chocolate chips and, honestly, they all match really well with the batter. Milk chocolate, semi-sweet, even mini chocolate chips, I tried this recipe with all variations and they are consistently good every time.
I know everyone is different when it comes to what they like in a Chocolate Chip Cookie, but I think this one will definitely please most everyone out there. Let me know when you try it out and what type of chocolate chips are your favorite.
I think you’ll agree…in the words of Martha Stewart, “These are definitely a good thing!”
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from Martha Stewart)
SO WHAT YOU'RE GONNA NEED IS:
- In smaller mixing bowl, combine Flour and Baking Soda. Lightly stir and set aside.
- In larger mixing bowl, combine room temperature Bitter, Sugar and Brown Sugar. Using Hand Mixing, mix on medium until it is light and fluffy.
- Add Egg, Vanilla Extract and Salt. Continue mixing with Hand Mixer until thoroughly mixed.
- To the same bowl, slowly add Flour mixture to the Butter mixture a little bit at time, continuing to mix until all the Flour mixture is thoroughly incorporated. (Don’t forget to scrape down the side to make sure everything is mixed in.)
- Fold in Chocolate Chips.
- Scoop 2 Tablespoons of Cookie dough onto the Silicone Baking Mat, leaving about 2 inches between scoops.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes depending on their size. They will be done when the edges are golden brown and the centers are still looking a little bit soft.
- Let cool on Baking Sheet for 2-3 minutes until they are cool enough to transfer to a cooling rack or plate.