I can’t wait to see the First Man movie with Ryan Gosling playing Neil Armstrong. These Tiny Kitchen Big Taste First Man Moon Pies are a tribute to NASA, manned space flight, the first man to walk on the moon….and my dad, who is portrayed in the movie!
Here are templates for getting your Edible Designs printed:
First Man Moon Pies
Yield 9 Moon Pies
Celebrate the Apollo 11 Moon Landing with these First Man Moon Pies!
SO WHAT YOU'RE GONNA NEED IS:
- (1 1/4) cup Graham Cracker Crumbs: Available Here
- (3/4) cup Flour: Available Here
- (1/2) teaspoon Baking Powder: Available Here
- (1/2) teaspoon Baking Soda: Available Here
- (1/4) teaspoon Kosher Salt: Available Here
- (3/4) cup packed Brown Sugar: Available Here
- (6) Tablespoons Butter: Available Here
- (1/2) teaspoon Vanilla Extract: Available Here
- (1/4) teaspoon Cinnamon: Available Here
- (1) large Egg: Available Here
- (1) cup Marshmallow Fluff: Available Here
- (1) lb. While Chocolate Melts: Available Here
- (2) Tablespoons Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil: Available Here
- (1/4) cup Moondust:
- (1/4) Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs: Available Here
- (1) teaspoon Cocoa Powder: Available Here
- Edible Printed Topping: Available Here
- U.S.A. Flag Toothpicks: Available Here
YOU'LL ALSO NEED:
- Large Mixing Bowl: Available Here
- Small Mixing Bowl: Available Here
- Hand Mixer: Available Here
- Silicone Spatula: Available Here
- Baking Sheet: Available Here
- Silicone Baking Mat: Available Here
- 3” Cookie Cutter: Available Here
- Cooling Rack: Available Here
- Plastic Wrap: Available Here
- Rolling Pin (optional): Available Here
- Piping Bag: Available Here
- Spatula: Available Here
- Strainer: Available Here
- Double Boiler (optional):
- Mixing Bowl: Available Here
- Small Pot: Available Here
Make the Cookies
- In a Small Mixing Bowl, combine the dry ingredients: finely crushed Graham Crackers, All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
- In a Large Mixing Bowl, cream together Butter and Brown sugar with a Hand Mixer until light in color and fluffy.
- To Creamed Butter, add Egg, Vanilla Extract and Cinnamon. Mix with Hand Mixer until Thoroughly combined.
- Then Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed Butter mixture, mixing with the Hand Mixer until all is combined.
- Remove from bowl and place on Plastic Wrap. Spread around with your fingers until it is almost 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover with Plastic Wrap and roll with Rolling Pin until smooth and 1/4 inch thick.
- Place on plate and stick in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator, uncover and stamp out Cookies with the Cookie Cutter, placing them on a Baking Sheet with Silicone Baking Mat.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove and while still warm, use Cookie Cutter to stamp the cookies and remove the excess around the Cookie Cutter so the Cookies are all the same size. Place on a Cooling Rack to cool completely.
Fill the Cookies
- Place Marshmallow Fluff in Pastry Bag.
- With Cookies top side down, pipe 1-2 Tablespoons of Fluff in the center of half the cookies.
- Place another Cookie on top of the Cookies with the Fluff to create a Cookie sandwich. Press down slightly to let Fluff spread to the edges.
- Place Cookie Sandwiches in the Freezer for about 15 minutes.
Coat the Cookies in Chocolate
- In Large heat-resistant Mixing Bowl, combine White Chocolate and Vegetable Oil.
- To make a Double Boiler, fill a small pot with about 1 inch of water. Place on the stove over medium heat. Place Mixing Bowl with White Chocolate on top of the Pot, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water in the Pot.
- Heat until Chocolate is smooth. Transfer to container with spout.
- Remove the Cookie Sandwiches from the Freezer. Place on Cooling Rack and Drizzle with the melted White Chocolate until top of the Cookie is covered and it drips over the sides.
- Option 1: Using edible paper with edible ink, place cut-out space designs on the melted chocolate before it cools.
- Option 2: Mix 2:1 ratio of Crushed Graham Crackers to Cocoa until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle on top of the melted chocolate before it cools. Place an American Flag Toothpick in the center.
Let cool and Enjoy!