I love enchiladas, but I never think to make them. For some reason, when I’m in the mood for Mexican food, I always default to tacos. In all fairness, tacos have their own day…Tuesday…so it’s only natural I would think of them first. Darn Taco marketers.
Growing up, my mom would make more traditional Enchiladas, with the red or green sauce and the corn tortillas. When I was in law school, though, a friend of mine made me her variation with flour tortillas and a whole host of awesome ingredients. I remember biting into them thinking, “These things are amazing!!!” I don’t remember exactly how she made them, but this recipe is a tribute to those fantastic enchiladas from my law school days! They’re really pretty simple to make…so you’re not spending a ton of time in the kitchen. Plus, you can make them ahead of time and then just pop them in the oven when you’re ready for dinner. If you’ve got kids, get them involved…this is definitely a kid-friendly recipe too!
I make them with shredded chicken because I love the taste and texture. But…you can definitely substitute traditional ground beef if you like that better. Or…for you overachievers, make a combination plate. For you vegetarians out there, I got you covered…you can always season up some chopped tofu instead. Yum Yum!
You may have never heard anyone say “It’s Enchilada Friday!” Yet. Times are a-changin’! With Cinco de Mayo on Friday this year, I think it’s the perfect time to declare Friday as the official day of Enchiladas. A great start to the weekend, these will happily pair with a Tiny Kitchen Big Taste Margarita. That sounds like a perfect way to ring in this new, glorious day: Enchilada Friday! Olé!Print
Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, these Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas are so easy and cheesy that it’ll give you plenty of time to celebrate! Mix up a Tiny Kitchen Big Taste Margarita while you’re at it. A perfect pairing of awesome!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 large enchiladas
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
SO WHAT YOU’RE GONNA NEED IS:
– (2) Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: Available Here
– (4) Flour Tortillas: Available Here
– (8) ounces shredded Cheddar Cheese: Available Here
– (4) Green Onions: Available Here
– (4) ounces canned Green Chiles: Available Here
– (3) ounces canned Black Olives: Available Here
– (24) ounces Salsa: Available Here
– Taco Seasoning: Recipe Available Here
– Cooking Spray: Available Here
YOU’LL ALSO NEED:
– Baking Sheet: Available Here
– Aluminum Foil: Available Here
– (2) Forks: Available Here or in your kitchen utensil drawer
– Mixing Bowl: Available Here
– Square Baking Dish: Available Here
– Large spoon: Available Here
– Large plate: Check your kitchen cabinet
– Can Opener: Available Here
– Sharp Knife: Available Here
Cook the Chicken
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Thoroughly coat Chicken Breasts on both sides with Mexican Seasoning.
- Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- After the chicken cools for about 10 minutes, shred the chicken using two folks
Prepare the Filling
Cut whites of Green onions in to 1/8-1/4 inch slices. Cut the greens of green onion into 1/8 inch slices (we will use the green part for a garnish later)
Slice the black olives.
Shred Cheddar Cheese
Combine shredded Chicken Breast with the whites of the Green Onions, Black Olives, 1/2 of the Cheddar Cheese, Green Chiles, and 1/3 of the Salsa
. Place 1/2 of the remaining Salsa on a Large Plate.
Place Tortilla on top of Salsa
Add 1/4 of the filling in a line across the middle of the Tortilla
Roll up Tortilla and place seam side down in a baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and the other 1/2 of the remaining Salsa.
Finish them off
- Place leftover Salsa from Large Plate on the top of the rolled Enchiladas.
- Top with remaining Cheddar Cheese, 1/2 of remaining black olives and 1/2 of the greens of green onions.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until heated throughout and cheese is nice and melty good.
- Garnish with remaining black olives and green onions.