Admittedly, I am one who, more often than not, skips breakfast. It’s not good. I know. I know.
And…actually, I notice a difference on the days when I’ve had a good breakfast versus those where I don’t have anything…or I think I’ll get by with a cup of coffee and a protein bar. Never seems to work.
Like most of y’all, though, life is busy and so, unfortunately, really important things like breakfast sometimes takes a back seat when you’re trying to get out the door.That’s why I am always looking for ways to make a super healthy, really substantial breakfast that’s easy to make. This recipe for Avocado Baked Eggs is just that. 1 Avocado, 2 Eggs and 15 minutes and you’ll have a breakfast that will sustain you throughout the morning. Just pop them in the oven when you jump in the shower or are getting ready for the day. Now I have no excuse not to make this really easy breakfast.
The avocado is no poser…it is packed with tons of nutrients. I was talking with a good friend’s wife just yesterday and we were talking about how Avocados are the perfect food. It is one of the first things she started feeding her son because it has a perfect combination of nutrients.
You may have heard that Avocado are full of fat and so you stay away from them. While Avocados do have fat in them, it is monounsaturated fat which actually helps to reduce bad cholesterol. So, rid yourself of the worries that avocados are bad for you…just eat them in moderation.
Match them with an egg or egg white and you have a perfect combination for fast and healthy breakfast…bake them for 20 minutes so you don’t have to worry about a runny yolk and they make a great on-the-go breakfast.
What’s even better is that you can top them with all sorts of ingredients so that you’ll never tire of the endless combinations you can make. Some of my favorite are Bacon & Eggs, Mediterranean (with tomatoes, feta and chives) and Hot & Spicy (yep, Sriracha and Red Pepper Flakes.)
But I want to hear from you about some new, creative combinations that you like…and feel free to share a picture of them on Instagram. Tag us (@tinykitchenTV) so that I can see you’re beautiful creation!
Avocado Baked Eggs
Bacon and Eggs
- 1 slice Bacon
- Cut Avocado in half. Remove the pit.
- Place each half face up on a Baking Sheet, leveling them by resting them on the side of the Baking Sheet.
- If using smaller Avocado, it may be necessary to scoop out some of the Avocado meat to make more room for the egg.
- Separate each Egg, placing the Egg Yolk into the half of Avocado. [Note: Unless using extra-large Avocados, I recommend separating the eggs in case they are too big for the avocado. This will prevent them from over-flowing.]
- Spoon the Egg Whites until the Avocado is almost full.
- Season with Salt and Pepper. Add any additional ingredients that you might want to cook with the Egg.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes for a runny yolk or 20 for a firm yolk.
- Top with additional ingredients of your choosing.